Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Something new for dinner

I found this recipe on Kitchen Daily and it sounded good and simple! I will tell you that we do not like jarred spagetti sauce, so I used my own homemade sauce which has hamburger and garlic in it, so I omitted that part of the recipe. I heated my sauce on the stovetop and while the pasta was boiling, I added the zucchini to my sauce to cook for a bit. I also forgot to buy ricotta cheese and didn't realize it til I was putting it together, so mine had no ricotta. I will be making this again and hopefully will remember the ricotta! And I halved the recipe for just the two of us and we have enough for leftovers. Here is the recipe directly from Kitchen Daily.

3-Cheese Mostacchioli Bolognese

1 lb ground beef (those of you who don't use beef could certainly use ground turkey for this!)
2 minced cloves of garlic
1 med zucchini cut in half lengthwise and sliced (about 1 cup total)
3 cups of your favorite jarred spagetti sauce
6 cups mostaccioli or tube shape pasta (I used 1/2 box of ziti rigatti)
6 oz shredded mozzarella. (I bought the 8 oz bag and used it all!)
1 cup ricotta cheese
1/4 cup grated parmesean cheese (I used a mixture of parm, asiago and romano)

Heat oven to 400. Cook the beef and garlic in a 12" skillet til beef is well browned, stirring often to break up the meat. Pour off any fat. Add the zucchini and cook til crisp-tender. Stir in the sauce.

Stir the beef mixture, pasta, 1/2 cup of the mozzarella cheese, ricotta cheese and parmesean cheese together and pour into a PAM sprayed shallow baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining mozzarella cheese. (I also sprinkled a bit of the 3 cheese mixture for good measure! One can never have enough cheese!)

Bake for 20 minutes or until it's all bubbly and hot and the cheeses on top have melted. I also turned the broiler on once this was complete and browned the cheese a bit. I fixed a salad and sauteed some broccoli slaw and enoki mushrooms in lemon juice and butter and some frozen garlic sticks to make this meal complete. Yummmmm! Or should I say...burp!!

1 comment:

Debbie DP said...

yum. I have added zucchini and ricotta to my grocery list.