Sunday, September 26, 2010

Mornin' Glory

Sarah at http://fortyfivedegrees.blogspot.com posted a wonderful sounding recipe for Morning Glory muffins the other day. I'd never heard of them, but we love everything that's in them, so I decided to try them. OMG! Such deliciousness you've never tasted! I'm usually a "warm it up and slather some buttah on it" muffin girl, but I've been eating these as-is at room temp and they are wonderful.

Morning Glory Muffins

2 eggs
3/4 cup oil
1/4 cup milk
2 tsps vanilla
2 cups all purpose flour
1 cup packed brown sugar
2 tsps baking soda
2 tsps cinnamon
1 1/2 cups shredded carrots
1 cup shredded apples (Sarah and I both left the peels on)
1/4 cup coconut
1/2 cup raisins
3/4 cup sliced almonds (like a good Southern girl, I used chopped pecans!)

Preheat oven to 350. Line muffin tins with cups or spray lightly with Pam.

In a large bowl, combine eggs, oil, milk and vanilla together til well mixed. Add flour, brown sugar, baking soda, and cinnamon and combine well. Batter will be on the stiff side, but no worries! Stir in carrots, apples, coconut, raisins and 1/2 cup of nuts. Mix well.

Divide the batter evenly into the muffin tins. Sprinkle remaining nuts on top. (Sarah and I mixed them all into the batter and skipped this step. I might do this if I were serving these to guests, but for us to nosh on...notsomuch!!)

Bake 20-25 min or til a toothpick inserted comes out clean.

Enjoy!

A couple of notes:

I like to put any raisins that I'll be using in a recipe in a small pot of water and bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 5-10 minutes to plump them up. I think they taste better in baked goods when I do this. This recipe made 23 muffins for me. I filled my tins 3/4 full.

No comments: