Friday, April 30, 2010

Latest food find




I think most people who know me know of my affection (or addiction as the case may be!) for Dirty Bloody Marys. For me, it's almost as much about the dirty and fresh squeezed lime juice that I add as it is about the vodka! I am also about the accoutrement. No boring stalk of celery for me! Though I have been known to throw one in, in addition to the other schmuck I put in it. I've been known to use pickled asparagus, pickled green beans, pickled carrot sticks, cocktail onions, wonderful green olives that I get from Temecula Olive Oil Company (thanks to my friend Jill!) and cucumber stalks; just to name a few. Not all at once, of course, but a couple or three at a time. But I'd never thought about pickled okra. I'ma good Southern girl. I {heart} me some "okries" as my cousin and I used to call them! So imagine my surprise when I opened my June issue of Southern Living that came in the mail a couple of weeks ago and found a one piece spread on Wickles Wicked Okra. To put in your Bloody Mary. OMG! WHAT a concept! I had to have me some! But being the cheapskate I am, I was not going to pay S&H for one jar, especially since the S&H was more than the actual jar of product! And not knowing if I'd like them or not, I didn't want to pay for more than one jar and end up throwing them out if I didn't like them. So I checked my Publix when I was there last week. And lo, what to my wondering eyes did appear? Wickles Wicked Okra! They'd had it all along! So a jar jumped right off the shelf and into my cart. I'm addicted! They have a sweet/hot taste that is so good. Starts out sweet on your tongue and you get a bit of good burn in the back of your throat as you swallow. Yummy! (Jeanne, you REALLY need to try these! They are in the pickle section on the top shelf!)

3 comments:

jeanne said...

Not so much an okra fan . . . I need to be leaving enough room for the vodka!!!!

I am all about green olives, celery and pepperoni in there too. Nothing like a little salad with my Bloody Mary.

Oh, and pickled green beans. Slurp!

Jill (Scrap Wench) said...

I haven't had okra in AGES. I'm going to have to look for this next time I go shopping.

Debbie DP said...

ewwwwwwwwww but again more proof I don't get out much.