Friday, April 2, 2010

Blooming things
















Just finished mowing my weeds. Can't say grass because it's just starting to turn green. But the weeds! Now that's a horse of a different color! We've got these spiky purple headed weeds. We've got short ones with yellow flowers. We've got tall ones with reddish plumage. More short ones with white flowers. And the oak leaves. My lord, the oak leaves. In FL the oaks shed in the Spring. And bloom. John has been messed up for weeks now with allergies. First the cypress. Now the oaks. I get it a bit with the oaks, but mine is mainly pine pollen, which bloomed back in December. I don't rake the leaves. We've got a double bladed Kubota mower, so I just mulch the crap outta them and let them make fertilizer for the yard. Less work for me!!! And better for the yard than commercial fertilize.


While I was mowing, I noticed a few new blooming things. The Bradford Pear tree is in bloom. I don't know as it's ever bloomed before. Maybe it needed a record cold Winter to bloom?! Who knows! It's pretty nonetheless. And the mulberry tree is gonna be loaded with fruit this year. Some are already turning red. When they turns deep purple, they are ready to eat. And you have to be there the instant they turn purple or the birds will get them! And the white seedless grapefruit tree is blooming. And it smells soooooooooooooo good. It's the first thing I smelled when I opened the back sliders this morning. And the bees and wasps are having a heyday! I could only take a couple of pictures before I got bombarded! I did get one close-up of a bees hiney!!

The hummingbirds have returned for their 6 month stay. I filled the hummingbird feeders the middle of March and have filled them twice since. Now that more things are starting to bloom, they will rely less on the feeders.

No comments: