Thursday, June 26, 2008

Finally! Our turn...




To get some much needed rain. The weather guys started breaking into local programming about 4:00 yesterday afternoon. There were severe thurndestorm warnings for the 2 counties just north of us and the 2 counties just south of us. Yet again, we were gonna get squat. There was marble size hail and 60 MPH wind gusts in some of the storms. Then about 4:30, the skies over the house started getting darker. And darker. And darker. I figured I'd best get dinner going in case we had a power outage. We had one Sunday night. Transformer blew somewhere and we had no power for over 2 hours. That's not fun in the hot FL summer. So just as I got dinner finished, the bottom fell out. It rained. Sideways. The trees were swaying and the rain was blowing all the way across the back porch. And it rained. And rained. It was still raining when I went to bed at 10:00! I just came back in from my morning routine of chicken duty...I've got a hen that is wanting to set. Same one wants to set about this same time every year. So I am now having to go out twice a day to check for eggs because if she sets on them for 24 hrs, we can't eat them. Her body heat makes the eggs unuseable. And since they all don't lay at the same time, I have to now check a couple of times a day. Two had laid after I checked yesterday afternoon, so I gathered them up and gave them their salad treat. Then went and took care of the pond. We've got frogs that have laid their eggs in the pond and there must be at least a gozillion tadpoles of various sizes. Gave the fish their food treat. The fish can live off the algae in the pond, but we give them Koi sticks as a treat a couple of times a week. And much to my surprise, there was just over 2" of rain in the rain guage! Yippee! We can use it, and so much more. They say we are in the same pattern as yesterday, so we can expect another round of the same type of weather this afternoon. And while I was out in the yard, I noticed a couple of new flowers blooming. First is rain lilies. I just love their delicate pink color. Then is Ornamental Ginger. It is right by the pond waterfall, so that's what's in the background. Last is the Crepe Myrtle. It is in front of the garage and blooms prolifically all summer long. The bees just love it!

1 comment:

jeanne said...

Hooray for rain. Ain't it sweet!!!!